1/1/10

Charles Bukowski - The Poetry Reading

My brother gave me Charles Bukowski's book Pulp as a birthday present a few years back and it quickly became one of my favorites. Bukowski in general is devoid of subtlety, which is likely why I wanted to use one of this poems as a short film. Here I use his The Poetry Reading along with backing from The Antlers' Kettering with some footage from a cold day in Atlantic City.

2010 is going to be a creative year and I wanted it kick it off right.


Charles Bukowski - The Poetry Reading from J. Christopher Rodgers on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Kerouac fan said...

Thanks for posting this - the film matches the poem. I love Bukowski's ordinaryness. - signed, Al of the Beat_Happening thread.

rodgerscolin said...

nice attention to detail. the rocking chair, the chips and drink on the table

Kerouac fan said...

I like the way the film is sometimes moving, sometimes still. Sometimes the cats are licking their paws, other times it's like a snap shot of them - no movement. That has a great effect. The backing track is atmospheric too. I come from a small seaside town so it means a lot to me. Bukowski's poem carries it of course.